Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sleep vs Insomnia

Last night, I slept for 6 hours without waking up!!!   It felt so good!  I have had insomnia for the last 2 weeks.  Probably has nothing to do with the fact that I was drinking on a daily basis.....  Ya right!

Booze sure keeps me up at night. I know that all ready.  I've been tossing and turning on a nightly basis, stuck in a rut for two weeks. But, I had to make that discovery again for myself!  I hope things are going to start clicking soon. I know I've said it before.  But when someone loses sleep for two weeks in a row, things have to change.      Things have to change.

I always knew that there was a correlation between losing sleep with alcohol consumption but let's face it ...denial, denial, denial!  Hits me like a ton of bricks now...when my mind just wanted the drink for the last umpteen years.  I didn't want to admit that it was the booze and the stress over thinking about booze being in my life are what's been keeping me up all night!

Who cares about sleep when I can numb my mind for hours on end and hit the sack and crash hard.  I never had problems falling sleep. The problem I had was that I'd get up at 1ish to pee or drink water because I was afraid I would be hungover.  I would toss and turn for hours on end, pissed off at myself for feeling dehydrated and not drinking enough water before bed.  I'd drink glasses of H2O and lay there feeling my belly churn, wondering if I'll be okay in the morning.

Many articles show us that booze affects our sleep patterns. I've been reading several and I don't think I've run across one that says drinking will help us sleep.  The best I got was that it helps us fall asleep quickly (or pass out according to us drinkers), then we're in a state of mess once our biological clock wakes us up before  the buzzing of the real clock wakes us up!  tick, tock!  Booze affects our REM sleep, the deep sleep we need on a daily basis to survive our busy, hectic lives!  Read about it!  When we don't get that deep sleep our bodies need, we become cranky, tired, thirsty, impatient, which helps us reach for that drink!  It's a vicious cycle, isn't it?

So, I must ask myself this question everyday.  Do I want sleep tonight or do I want a sleepless, shitty, bag-under-the-eye creating night?   

I'm exhausted!  I'm tired of thinking too!

(I'm at a hotel for the weekend for a hockey tournament with a bunch of drinkers.  I passed on the shooters last night and I'm glad I did.   Pat on my back)



1 comment:

  1. i remember the first month i was sober i slept and slept and slept. i was SO TIRED, yawned all the time. it's like my body was saying thank you and i'm going to get it while i can get it.

    ReplyDelete