Sunday, January 20, 2013

Week 1 -Search for Spirituality Begins!


Today, I decided to begin my spiritual quest.  I have been searching for spirituality for many years now and with my drinking patterns, the search always seems to fall short of my mission.

I took out many books from my basement storage room today...my Bible, "Handle with Prayer by Alan Cohen, The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie, Sober Living, Daily Reflections, How Meditation Heals by Eric Harrison.  I've also began googling many sites in search for answers.  (If you can recommend more, I'll take them).

I've done some reading.  The following is from the book "Handle with Prayer" by Alan Cohen:  

To change your life, begin by changing your thoughts.
Because most people do not understand that every thought is a prayer, they attempt to change their lives by rearranging the outer world without addressing the negative thoughts they are holding about it.  This is called a "geographical cure", which does not work.  It is useless to try to change your outer world unless you first change your inner world.  If you attempt to make external changes before doing the necessary inner transformation, the outer world will just keep repeating the same pattern.  We keep re-creating the same situation over and over again until we change our mind.

I could honestly type the rest of this chapter.  It made me open my eyes to becoming more focused of what I DO want instead of what I DON'T want.  

I do want to be sober.  I do want to live in peace.  I want to be a great sober mommy.  I want to be healthy.  I want to be happy.

I've done some thinking to what negative thoughts I'm holding on to.  I'll have to put some thoughts into this and blog about it another day.

Today begins my work on changing my inner world.  The chaotic one that is stressed and takes things for granted.  The one that doesn't always take time to see and appreciate the many gifts in my life.  The one that lives in a fast pace, modernized, materialistic world.  The one that is tired and emotionally drained.  

I will find my spirituality during my recovery from this crazy ass addiction!  I will continue to search, read and seek help until I find it!



No comments:

Post a Comment